Wednesday, February 02, 2005

A good day..

I spent most of the day with M's sister E. I really like her, she's been really welcoming to me since the beginning. She lives about a block away from us, has a 2 1/2 year old son who is charming. She called to see I wanted to go up to the mall for a quick trip - she was looking for a birthday pressie for her hubby, then we'd have coffee. After the mall, we went to M's mother's house and had lunch. It was a full day with people. I enjoyed it but was happy to get home and then have some 'me' time at the gym.

I finally called M's friend Ma. Now, I don't make a habit out of calling M's friends (the girl friends) because, as much as I like them, they are his friends and I'm not completely comfortable calling. I kind of wish they'd call me, same story, it's hard to butt into someone else's life because i'm desperate to make friends. But I guess someone has to reach out. I decided I'd call and see what she was doing (her husband works nights and has an erratic schedule), if she wanted to meet for a glass of wine or something. Her husband was home so I just said hi and asked about her acupuncturist. I'd been meaning to do that anyway. I decided I'll give him a call - the acupuncturist (whose also a herbalist) and see about my digestion issue.
I'm ready to try it. I'll call tomorrow.

M will be home tomorrow. I've been missing him even though I get to do whatever I want and I enjoy that. I miss his presence and how he makes me laugh. He called yesterday a little bummed because he had an estate agent (realtor) come by the 'project' and the guy told him that he probably will not make any money on the house. Now, M probably knew that. We both did. But I guess it kind of socked him in the solar plexus. We talked about it, what we needed to do..

I know I said I'd mention the house here (Sal had asked me about it) and I'd forgotten. M used to work in a bank. Long hard hours and days making lots of money but having no life. When he split up from the wife and went to travel, he didn't know what he wanted to do when he returned. He knew what he DIDN'T want to do. Work in a bank. He'd always dreamt about remodeling a house. There's a thousand shows on tv here about this. He started looking. First he found an old cottage on 2 acres of land. He couldn't get planning permission for a septic tank before he bought it, so he didn't buy it. He next found this little house in a terraced row of houses. He got a good price but he might not have done all his research. The area is run-down and near council housing. Not the best neighborhood. Not *bad* but there are better areas in this town. But it was the right price and the right size to remodel. It needed alot of work. It looks worse now than when he started.. The house was built in the 1880s, has 19 inch thick stone walls and many years of damp. He had to peel all the plaster back and reseal the stones (I forget the proper name for this), he had to fix the guttering and roof outside so the water would stop coming in, he had to fix the drainage so the water would stop collecting near the front walls of the house, etc, etc. It's a work in progress with alot of work left. But I think now we know where it stands. He's probably not going to make any money on it. But he'll learn everything he wanted to learn about remodeling a house - tiling, plumbing, plastering, etc, etc. It's good. And he'll make money in other ways. He has a way with making money, he's good at it. So it won't be the house, but it'll be something else. I have faith in him. And my specialty is giving him faith in himself, when he isn't feeling it.

And I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home