Saturday, January 22, 2005

A night out...

Last night we went to the movies. I've only been once since I've been here and I'm usually a regular goer. Usually I go alone so I can see whatever I want. I'm pretty sure I'll start doing that again but for whatever reason, I've stopped. Anyhow.

We got all dolled up for date night. We drove into Dublin to try a new theater. They have about 15 screens. Although it was 5€ to park for 2 hours ($6.50) at least they offered parking... It is impossible to park downtown in Dublin. The theater was on 4 floors, the first had the ticket counters. This floor was packed with people who hadn't bothered to buy their tickets online first... poor sods. We got our tickets out of the machine and bypassed everyone! Upstairs, there was a cafe/bar. so if you got to your movie early, there was actually a lovely comfy place to sit and have something to eat or drink. M and I both thought it was great since you don't really see it too often (except maybe at the Metreon in downtown SF).

We went up a further flight to our movie. The snacks were there. Normally I love movie popcorn at home. I'm sorry, I'm a sucker for 'butter flavored topping' prefering normal butter but whatever. It's the only place I eat popcorn and I love it. I could (and do) eat a big tub. (there. i've told you. i'm not ashamed! i'm not! just call me porky.) Sadly, movie theaters in Dublin (well, the two I've been to so far) don't serve butter flavored topping but they DO LIKE SALT. :( Don't get me wrong, I ate it. But I didn't like it as much. But the setup was a lot easier to get around, and the lines shorter, than in the States. It costs the same astronomical amount as at home too! LOL

Another interesting fact about going to the movies here is that they assign seats. So when you walk into the theater, there is someone to show you to your assigned seats. We had good ones. But it was a bit odd for me. I usually like going in and sitting wherever you want. But if the movie is newer to the theater (this one was - Million Dollar Baby) then you get decent seats without having to wait forever in line. I liked it! The movie was great, unexpected because I knew very little about it (unlike at home where I probably would've seen or heard so much about it that I would've known the twists) and I could see why Clint Eastwood won a Golden Globe. (Not so sure about Hilary Swank.)

Afterwards we left and decided to go for a drink. We went to a pub closer to home that we like. The place was hopping but not packed, we were able to find a seat and ever since they started the smoking ban in places of work, the pub has been a pleasant place for me to be. I love the buzz. We actually talked to a bloke next to us who was drunk but friendly. Once he heard my American accent, he wanted to know what I thought about Dublin. I hate when people ask this question and usually I try to dodge it. I'm not good at lying and I try to say 'lovely' and change the subject. I DO think there are good things but as you all know, I also feel there are not good things. I can't really go around saying, well, i love the reg plates, and the chips are good, and i like a guinness every now and again.. So, I just turned the conversation to him and then he had to go. It made my day that someone talked to us, even if he was drunk. He was a nice drunk. LOL

After the pints, we went home. It was a nice night out with my honey. We don't have them too often, so I really love them. :))

3 Comments:

Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Assigned seats, huh? Ugggh... I"d end up with some tall person in front of me. I have to be careful about that (or maybe bring a booster seat or phone book to sit on!)

I'm having a night out with hubby tonight and am looking forward to it. It'll be with another couple, but that's always fun.

I'm finally able to get to everyone's blogs. I'm getting caught up on all of my projects that I've been promising myself.

Here's one:

http:www.family.mostlyrisible.com

I'm goign to set it up for mine and hubby's family to communicate with each other.

All that is left is my movie database (I've been yacking about that for months!)

Ok, 'nuff about that. I was just explainign why I haven't been making the rounds lately! :0

January 22, 2005 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger Randygirl said...

I was going to say I don't think I'd like the assigned seats, since there's a certain spot I prefer to sit, but then I thought about the good old fashioned "lay your purses and jackets and really any extraneous items of clothing or personal belongings across the seats around you to save them and to give yourself a buffer between yourself and strangers" and I may have changed my mind.
What I like about movies now is that I don't have to sneak food in. I can either go someplace like the Metreon, where I can get whatever food I want, or I can bring food in from outside and they never get upset anymore.
OK I'm babbling. Sounds like it was a good time, glad you guys got to get out!
hugs,
R
ps was just talking to B about you, he asked how you were enjoying life overseas. I think my response was "hermalburg". lol. But I said that you liked parts of it (like being with M) and missed home in some ways. Is that an accurate read?

January 22, 2005 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

Yep, I like bits and pieces. I know it sounds like I don't like it at all because I write the bits that frustrate me but there is a lot I like as well. I was thinking the other day how I've always wanted to live in another country and now I am and here I am thinking about home alot (same when I lived in Italy in college). I think mostly it's because of not having a job, a role, more than not being happy with the place, you know what I mean? Being with M more than makes up for it... :)

January 23, 2005 at 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home