Friday, January 21, 2005

One of those goofy things about Dublin that I like

Ok, I know you guys are going to think I'm bonkers after this but here it goes...

When you buy a new car here in Ireland, the 'reg plate' (our license plate) has the numbers in a format that lists the year of your car, the county of purchase and the number of car purchased that year. So if you have a 1995 Subaru Legacy purchased in Kilkenny, your reg plate will look lik 95-KK-45607 (assuming that your car was the 45,607 car purchased that year.) At the beginning of the next year, the numbering starts over at 1 and adds up throughout that year. I have to say that I find this interesting, it keeps me occupied searching (even while I am driving, I'm afraid) for the latest 05 reg plate. I saw 05-D-9150 on my way back from the gym, the highest I've seen this year so far. (I know, I know, you're starting to wonder. LOL)

In the year 2000, the year the "Celtic tiger" was at its highest, there were 107,000 or so cars sold in Dublin. I think it's the best year ever. Last year, the highest we've seen is only about 72,000. When I see a 85 reg Mercedes or something equally posh, I am impressed. That person made their money BEFORE the Celtic tiger and it's impressive. Nowadays, Mercs are a dime a dozen here in Dublin (also 5-series BMWs) so it's not even that interesting anymore. A Jeep Grand Cherokee which I think costs about $45k in the States, costs upwards of €80k or ($104k with todays exchange rate), which makes me want to look in the window of that car to see what celebrity is in there (there never is.. or maybe I just don't know them). A Hyundai Sonata goes for €35000 (you can get them in the States for $16k I think.).

One of M's friends actually bought a used 2002/03? Volvo S40 (i think) from his wife's uncle. The day they brought it home, before they even had a chance to insure it, someone broke into their house, stole the keys that were laying on a sideboard in the hall, and drove off with the car! Why would you keep anything of value? That you park outside? ah well. Different strokes for different folks.

Anyhow, that was just an observation. Something I thought I'd write about. I have others, so you'll be hearing more from me. ;)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home