Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Buon giorno, tutti!

Gosh it's been ages since I've been in Italy. All my Italian is out the window and when I think of it, it all comes up in Spanish! It's hard to believe after a two and a half hour flight, I'm hanging around in a completely different country, as well as culture. I'll never get used to it. It's wonderful.

The sun was shining when I arrived this morning, which is a good sign since it was supposed to be raining. It's about 10 degrees warmer here so that feels nice too. I was able to take my fleece off this afternoon and walk around in my shirt sleeves. I miss that! Anyhow, my sister-in-law S and my niece A were there to meet me - at the airport. A is 2 years old, I think I mentioned, and is cute as a button. In fact, disregard everything I said in my last post about it, I think things have improved. All is looking pretty well here compared to the last time. I guess the fact that the baby's grown up a bit is a big difference.

Anyhow, we came back to their apartment here in Monza. It's just a short drive outside of Milan and home to an international raceway. In fact, they just had some kind of motorcycle racing here last weekend. Formula one also races here, I guess. Anyhow, we walked down towards the track (close to their apt is a HUGE park and the raceway is at one end). We walked through this gorgeous, HUGE park, lazily enjoying the sunshine and a nice chat. (Did I mention the park was HUGE?)

We came back and relaxed a bit, then my brother returned home from work. Just in time for their Italian instructor to come by (the company has given them an instructor for a certain number of hours). My brother and I took the baby to the park (a different park). All the Italian mothers were out there with their babies (lots of apartment living means everyone goes to play at the local park) and small children - mothers dressed to the nines in their designer gear, babies as well. We actually saw a small boy in a little white sweater and white pants out there! He probably didn't get to do anything fun, lest his outfit be ruined! Poor thing. Other than that, it's a nice idea actually. People getting together with their neighbors for an hour or so at the park, then home for the 9pm (or later) dinner. It's a different lifestyle, isn't it?

And the people are friendly. And they make eye contact! And the old men's glances linger and I DON'T CARE! I'm just so glad someone is making eye contact, even if it's kind of creepy.. LOL
I just give it back and smile wildly and say 'Buon giorno!'

1 Comments:

Blogger RisibleGirl said...

So THAT's how that's spelled. ha ha.

Wow, look at you go! I really love reading your descriptions of your travels. It's almost like being there.

Have a great time!

May 12, 2005 at 1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home