Monday, December 20, 2004

Some interesting facts about Dublin

I have to giggle about this first one, everytime I think of it.

You don't get a 'ride' someplace here, you get a 'lift'. If you ask a man if you can get a ride, they might scream 'yes!' and jump up and down for joy. This means sex to the Irish male. Now if you really do want a 'ride', well it's as easy as saying so. LOL

The mailman walks here, delivering his mail. I love that. I love seeing him with his bag slung over his shoulder, walking from house to house and putting the mail in the slot in the door. Maybe it's just because I'm home. I get to see him.
Maybe he does this somewhere in the States but not where I lived in California - he was always in a truck.

As you know, I've been working at the animal shelter. Doing data entry but it's fun. There are about 10 dogs that wander about the office, sweet guys that come up to me as I'm sitting at the desk and put their heads on my thighs for a scratch. Sometimes I can't do any work as I've two heads on my two thighs, getting a scratch with both hands. Kind of hard to use the computer with no hands. LOL Recently, we've gotten a little orange and white kitty who has lost an eye. I havent heard the story but his left eye is gone. He still tears around the office like a bat outta hell, usually at an angle but not the angle you'd expect if he wanted to see out of his good eye better. He's pretty entertaining and they call him Spinach. Cute.

Besides that, in the time I've been there, they told me they don't home puppies or kitties during the month of December. Apparently, people come in to get the animals as gifts and then they are usually returned after Christmas. I couldn't believe that.. I have to wonder if the States are the same, I'm sure they must be but never noticed because I haven't worked for this organization there.

After looking at R's post about Christmas in SF, I wanted to post some photos of Dublin. New photos. The sun was shining and the sky was a beautiful blue but by the time I went out for photos, the clouds were rolling in gray. Ah well, another time. There will plenty of time for that, I'm sure.

Oh, another oddity of this country, I was telling my mom the other day. As many of you know it's a Catholic country, you don't see much notice about condoms on TV or anything for protection against STDs or pregnancy but there is a 'morning after' clinic open on Sundays (earlier hours these days) for those girls who had a bit too much to drink and had unprotected sex on Saturday night. Seems a bit odd to treat these girls after the fact but oh well. It's good to keep your head buried in the sand I guess.

Hmm. That's all for now. I was going to start on the graphic advertisements on TV but I decided I'll put that in a different blog. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randygirl said...

I always so enjoy light hearted blogs, maybe because mine never seem to go that way! lol
I know that at Halloween the Bay Area animal shelters won't give away cats because of the horrible things people do to them, and there are always news stories about "don't get your kids rabbits or fluffy yellow chicks for Easter", but I never really thought about Xmas.
Can I make a plug for Photobucket? The easiest way I've found so far to post pics in a blog entry is to save them to my free Photobucket album, copy the "tag" line, and paste it. I was using a different service, but I like this one better. Of course if you already have someplace that hosts your photos then this plug was useless, lol.
hugs,

December 21, 2004 at 2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home