Saturday, December 18, 2004

There's something in the air

As far as my last post is concerned, I actually have spoken to M about the issues. He knows and he still gets frustrated with me. I like R's suggestion and maybe it's something I can try.. it hasn't popped up again.. yet!

So, I've had a wild week. Ok, not wild but there's some unusual things brewing. One of my girl friends in SF (who hasn't talked to me in weeks, online or otherwise) sent me an email inviting me to go to Maui on an all-expense paid, 6 days at the Ritz Carlton with her. All I have to do is get to SF (I found out I can use airline miles) and unfortunately I'd miss M's birthday. But he said I need this, he wants me to go and he is really excited for me. It's some honor that she received for work - there's massages and pampering galore involved and I already had started planning for my holiday (stop in SF, visit friends for a few days, fly to Maui, back to SF, down to see my parents in Oceanside and get a few more rays, then home).

Then I got onto IM.

Two guys that I used to work with started chatting with me immediately. One was my old boss and the other, his European counterpart, whom I've met. Anyhow, they both started asking me if I was still looking for work, that they may need me to work in Scotland! We have an office there and apparently the IT guy started diverting copies of the HR managers email to his own (amongst other key people in the European offices) - actually starting is the wrong word, they've been doing it for a couple years but they just recently included some others. He was found out because an employee sent an email to one of these key people asking for an acknowledgement that it was read or received. Its an automatic thing so once you open the email, the reply is sent to the sender. So the sender received 2 acknowledgements and there was some investigation. And now there is a vacancy in our Edinburgh office. And an unemployed IT administrator (I did the same job as this guy, only in CA) looking for a job. It would be temporary (3 months maybe?) if it works out. I could work 3 days there and 2 days from home here in Dublin! I'm veeeerrrrry excited about this.

Now I just have to include the fact that I have a trip planned (that cannot be cancelled!) and I'll get the best of both worlds hopefully. Any ideas how I might make this work out? I mean telling my boss, if they offer me the job. I don't want it to be something I can get out of, so I need a good reason. ;) Unfortunately, the Maui and Scotland are quite a few times zones apart so I can't imagine working remotely from Maui. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger RisibleGirl said...

Wow- talk about roller coaster for you, girl! This news is just fabulous.

As for the boss thing, I'd opt for honesty. Besides the fact that honesty is always the best way to go, I don't think I could come up with ANY story that would be plausible to cover that much time; much less pull it off. Any sane person would understand that having an all expense paid trip that includes all of these wonderful things would be something you couldn't pass up. If he says no, then you have to make a choice at that point and decide which is more important to you.

Wow- what wonderful things have happened to you since last week! Kind of amazing to me how when you put it out there (to the universe, God, whatever you call it), you are heard.. then things happen for you. That's very cool, my friend.

xoxo

December 18, 2004 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger grrltraveler said...

thanks, i know you're right and i wouldn't consider being anything but honest... if i work it right, i would only miss 7 days of work and 4 of those would've been remotely, so someone could do it for those days, i'm sure. i am pretty excited. (((hugs)))

December 18, 2004 at 9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! ! !
this is amazing news! that trip sounds fabulous. please, please can i come too? can i??
and the job offer. wow.
can't wait to hear how it all works out.
great news, grrl.
(((HUGS)))
~Anonymous G

December 19, 2004 at 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home