Sunday, January 16, 2005

Fun times had by all

Last night was a hit. Last month we had met with a friend of M's and his girlfriend. We agreed, that night, that we would start a sort of dinner club. We would pick a country and make foods from that country, the other couple would bring wine or dessert from that country. We had a lot to drink that night and somehow Germany became the choice of the month. I don't know about you, but I don't know too many German delicacies and after living in Ireland for 4 months now, I was pretty sure that anything I wanted, I probably wouldn't be able to find anyway.

After putting things off til the last minute, I got online and looked for some German recipes. Sure enough, I noted things like bratwurst and sauerkraut (which I love but knew I'd never find bratwurst here... too spicy) or spatzel or other strange culinary delights. I asked M to call his friend, tell him we'd do mexican and hope that was ok. It was. Thank God!

So our guests arrived with a bottle of tequila and cointreau and I knew it was going to be a good night!! LOL G made margaritas and I was in heaven. I wasn't thrilled with how my salsa turned out (really should've worked harder to find the fresh serrano chiles instead of using jalapenos) - not spicy enough. I heated up some refried beans, topped with cheese, to dip the chips in. M made quesadillas, which went off a hit, and we still had the enchiladas in the oven! It was a decadent night of food, that's for sure. It was wonderful and M woke up hung over, I felt a little worse for wear but not as bad as he. I still managed to drag him out in the sunshine and cold, crisp air for a nice walk in the hills. Boy was that a much needed breath of fresh air. Sure helped clear off the cobwebs.

So, all is well and I'm off to eat some more salsa, I think. Maybe overnight it's managed to get a little spicier (that's how it used to work anyhow). I'll keep you posted!


3 Comments:

Blogger monica said...

Yay! Way to go! Sounds like a great way to spend an evening...

January 16, 2005 at 10:16 PM  
Blogger Randygirl said...

I meant to post on the last one, and then somehow I just didn't! Sorry (sheepish grin).

Everytime B and I talk about the countries we want to visit or where he might accept a transfer, I get this flash of you missing taqueria and have a minor panic attack, lol. Glad to hear you got the chips (and the tequila!!) and had such a great time.

Being more than 40% German myself, I could probably send ya a few recipes if the country ever pops up again. Not that I know how easy the ingredients would be to find there, but now I'm rambling anyway.

OK, just wanted to say I'm glad you're doing so well. You sound so happy, and I'm glad you get a chance to come home (and possibly a job there in Dublin! yay!)
hugs, and thanks for your comment. xoxo
R

January 17, 2005 at 1:24 AM  
Blogger RisibleGirl said...

That DOES sound like fun and you're making me hungry for Mexican food (even though it's only 7:30 in the morning right now)

I'd die (ok, that's WAY too much drama) if I didn't get Mexican food on one form or another at LEAST once a week.

Your party idea sounds like a great idea. One that I might steal. When we get the big house, we plan to have a free-for-all Friday every Friday. All of our friends are invited, they just have to bring something and we all will cook in the kitchen together. Believe it or not, it was one of BJ's friends that suggested that whole "let's all cook together in the kitchen" thing.

Glad you're settling in... xoxo

January 17, 2005 at 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home