Monday, April 04, 2005

The P0pe

So of course this weekend full of many tv reports about the P0pe. Aside from his title, I wouldn't know a darn thing about him, nor would I have really cared. I mean, I'm sad he was sick.. he didn't look good for the past few months.. really didn't seem fair that he was able to continue to be P0pe when he really struggled to hold his head up or even wave to the crowd.

But it seemed to be a really HUGE thing for M. Over the past few days, he's been watching the broadcasts and talking about how sad it is, etc, etc. He was telling me about the time, when he was nine, and the P0pe came to Dublin. There is a huge park called Phoenix Park in town and he said that over one million people went to see him (there's only 4.5 million in the whole country) and he fondly remembers taking the bus into town, then everyone walking with their deck chairs to the park to listen. I can imagine it would be an incredible sight and something that a nine-year-old boy would remember.

Last night we went to dinner up north and along one of the roads, there was a small statue (I guess marking another Pap*l visit) and cars were parked along the road and people were walking to it and leaving flowers and other objects. It was really amazing the outpouring of support for him and I was a little surprised really. I know I shouldn't be... Catholic country and all.. I'm wondering if a similar thing is happening in the States, I'm sure it is somewhere. I just find it difficult because he didn't really have any sort of impact on my life so I can't conceive the idea of people shedding tears for him, etc. Sometimes I just feel like I'm a heartless b&*^& or something.

But I have to say, I've learned alot more about the whole Pap*l thing than I probably ever wanted to know. LOL I'll be interested in the new selection because M's interested in it. To be honest, we couldn't really get away from it if we tried because there must be 4 news channels with the stories and another 2 channels talking about his history and life.. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Randygirl said...

Yeah, the tvs here are running what feels like 24 hour 'see the P0pe lying in state' marathons, which is starting to really annoy me and B. Oh, well. He was the only one in my lifetime, and we shared a birthday, so that's about the entirety of my connection and interest.
Sad when anyone dies, but I care more about people I know and their loved ones.
But I'm interested in the next parts because of having read Angels & Demons, and I want to see how accurate Dan Brown was.

April 5, 2005 at 2:25 AM  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Oh dear, my boy was a bit the same. I think it's the Irish Catholic thing. We were watching till his young mini-me (thankfully) requested that we watch something else.

And R, I was thinking about the whole Angels & Demons thing too. Loved that book.

April 12, 2005 at 6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home